Sunday, May 10, 2009

Getting started with p90x


Well tomorrow is D-day. I am starting the Classic P90x. I am in better than average shape and I want to see what 90 days of "bringing it" will do for me. The hard part for me is going to be eating cleaner. I love my pasta,rice,bread,beer and a nice cold can of coke now and then. Ruffles and french onion dip, tostitos and jalapeno cheese dip, popcorn etc. I eat it all. Going to try to eliminate it all but I will post here to let you know when I screw up and how it affected me. Will I cheat? Maybe. But I'm going to try to stick to the nutrition plan as close as possible since this is how to obtain maximum results.

I 've been nursing an injured shoulder for 6 months and my back has been a mess for the last 30 days but I think I'm ready as I've tried some of the movements and none of them seem to stir up any problems.

If you are thinking about tackling P90x you can download the fit test here to make sure you meet the minimum requirements. P90x fit test

Couple of things you will need in addition to the P90x program are a pull up bar, barbells or resistance bands and the will power to keep "Bringing it" day after day.

You can get the extras at Beachbody or you can design your own pull up bar depending on the space you have and where you want to do your workouts. The pullup bar from Beachbody fits in between your door and is a very easy and quick way to get started. We do our workouts in the basement so I decided to build my own. I did find a pull up bar that you could screw right into the beams in the basement but I decided to make a custom home made pull up bar instead.










Here's what you need. I bought my supplies from Home Depot
1 - 2x6 Piece of wood $3.16
2 - 3/4 galvanized 90 degree elbows $3.18
2 - 3/4 galvanized flanges $9.82
2 - 3/4 x 12 in black pipe(could use 18in depending on what height you need)$6.82
1 - 3/4 x 48in black pipe $10.62
8 - lag screws $3.92
10 - lag screws 1/4 x3 1/2 $3.60
------------
$41.12 + tax

I also wrapped the bar with 2 layers of black hockey tape. It is still a little rough on the hands so you might need to wear gloves or find a pad to put on it.

Get the P90x Workout sheets

No comments:

Post a Comment